Monday, April 11, 2011

Day Thirty: Looking at the World with New Eyes & an Empty Stomach!


There are some experiences in life that make us look at the world in a different way. Often these moments come to us spontaneously and unplanned. Perhaps in the form of a chance meeting with a stranger, an image in a photograph or movie, the haunting words of a story or song. Other times it is an intentional experience; a mission trip, helping out at a soup kitchen, an inspiring sermon. No matter how we experience these moments it opens our eyes wider to the world and we are able to "see" things we haven't seen before and to act with compassion.


A "Hunger Banquet" is one of those intentional moments that have moved me. I haven't actually participated in a formal Oxfam Hunger Banquet. Oxfam.ca or actfast.oxfamamerica.org. The Hunger Banquet is set up to reflect in inequities of the world. Nearly 1 billion people go hungry even though there is enough food produced world-wide to feed everyone. At the Hunger Banquet the guests are randomly divided into three groups: a high income group (15%) who eat a delicious and nutritious meal, a middle income group (25%) who eat a simple meal of beans, rice and water, and a low income group (60%) who wait in line for a meager bit of rice and water. An MC then leads the group in some discussion about what life is like for each of the groups and a group discussion follows allowing guests to reflect on their experience.


I've experienced my own version of a hunger banquet. I've staged a similar experience for my students and VBS groups. As the kids enter the space I divide them into three groups- one sits on nice comfortable chairs, one on benches, and another on the floor, many "No fairs" are voiced. I proceed to tell the groups about the approximate world income groups that they represent and areas in the world that might fit into those groups. Then I take various topics: food, water, medical care, transportation, education and give the kids pictures or symbols that reflect the realities for the various groups. For example: For food and water, I give each child in the first group a box of cereal, a juice box and some plastic fruit & veggies, I give the kids in the second group one box of cereal and a jug of water with a few cups, and in the third group I give them some leftover crackers and a bottle of dirty water. I then explain a little bit about the quality of nutrition and how many meals each group would get each day and how they might find their water. For education, I give out notebooks, a textbook and pencils to each child in the first group, a pencil to each child in the second group, and the kids in the third group get a few pencils to share. I then give out pretend money- $1000 to each kid in the first group, $10 to each person in the second group, and loonies to a only couple of the kids in the third group to represent future earning potential.


At the end of the "banquet" the kids in the first group have so many things that their laps are overflowing and many of their items are sitting on the floor around them. Each time I do this activity it is a visual reminder to me of just how much I have. Too much. A reminder of the inequity that exists in the world. Each time, I have a renewed sense of gratitude and eyes that are open a little wider looking for ways to share the bounty of my banquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment