Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day Twenty-Eight: Making Social and Financial Sense!


It's tax time and I have been procrastinating. Not because I think the CRA will take more than their fair share, in fact, I should be getting a decent tax return. I just hate doing data entry. I have piles of receipts for my home daycare that have been carefully stuffed into folders ready to be sorted and tediously entered into a spreadsheet. Sounds like a lot of fun, right?

I stumbled across a concept that might intrigue the accountants out there. How does an investment that gives a consistent 2% return and no investor has ever lost a penny of principal or interest sound? Pretty impressive. How about if I told you that the investments have helped over 17 million people world-wide? What company could this possibly be? It's not a "company" at all. It's Oikocredit.

Oikocredit is a micro finance cooperative. For 35 years Oikocredit has been giving loans to people in the developing world allowing them to build better lives for themselves and their families. www.oikocredit.org What a great way to empower people and fight poverty!

*On the website there are some great videos which tell the life-changing stories of some recipents. There is also a section with facts about Oikocredit in Western Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment